Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Behind the music of ZEN X-Fi



I'm sure many of you have seen the latest ZEN X-Fi advertisements but have you ever wondered what went into making them? I had the privilege of asking Wayne Khin, the composer of the two pieces of music some of these questions. Wayne -a sound designer and composer - was an ex-employee of Creative Technology who now owes his own company called Homestudio.

1. What was the campaign brief for the ZEN X-Fi?

Just like most X-Fi integrated products, beginning of the music has to be simple and at certain point in the video, the music has to be full, just to show the contrast (with and without X-Fi). And it has to be an original composition.

2. How long did you take to come up with the music?

I am normally given a week or two to get the first idea of music done.

3. What is the message that the music is trying to communicate to the audience?

Similar answer to your question 1. No ad agency involved, so things are much simple.

4. You mentioned that you composed the "Taiko" track for theater ad. So far, I have only seen the ad in Creative stores. Will we see it in cinemas soon?

That's what I was told.

5. What other works have you done for Creative?

A couple of them, including WebCam, the early ZEN series. You may find some of them at http://www.homestudio.com.sg/

6. Lastly, do you own a ZEN X-Fi? If so, what do you think of it?

I do not own one, however I always had one while working on the music for the product so that I could test out the music on the product itself.

No comments: